Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Surprise Addition

Today's post is dedicated to mamas with a surprise addition to the family. Like Ss, there are quite a few mothers with 2 or 3 (or more?) growing children who suddenly find themselves expecting another tiny bundle of joy. Of course, a new life is always a cause for celebration. The older siblings will welcome another brother/sister, grandparents get to spoil pamper another grandchild and depending on the age of the parents, there will be a younger child to keep them company when the older ones have left the nest in the future.

Challenges:
For today's mamas however, who have to balance work with family & home, the new arrival can also pose a challenge - emotionally, mentally & physically. It's one thing when you plan for it and anticipate a new family member. It's another thing when you miss your monthly cycle due to a miscalculation of dates and the red/blue line on the pregnancy test kit confirms your 'worst fears'! Some mothers find themselves feeling the blues as just when things are about to 'settle down', they are now going to start all over again; backaches, childbirth, sleepless nights, pacifying crying baby, diaper changing, toilet training..etc. Again, depending on what age the mother is, the 3rd or 4th pregnancy may be very exhausting as they also have to work, cook, do chores, take care of the older children--- hormonal changes may not really help either as Ss shared i.e. feeling sleepy and tired all the time. 

Depending on one's background and job, a new baby also poses great financial challenge. It's not just the hospital bills (if you go to private hospital) and the new baby items (if you've already given away most of them), it's also the savings one has to set aside for the child's education fund, medical insurance, vaccinations, preschool fees, tuition fees, music class fees, stationeries, toys, clothes (some can be passed down from the older siblings but won't you sympathize with your youngest one when everything he/she owns is either taped, tattered, dog-eared or patched together with old stains and smudges here and there?)...tertiary fees..etc. I think gone are the days when people used to give birth like rabbits and then left the children to fend for themselves.

For career mothers who halted or postponed their career plans and aspirations for children's sake, this may also be a cause for bringing on the blues. Suddenly, you find you may have to extend the postponement of your plans (again!). This is a great struggle for many when we feel that we can do or contribute so much more yet we are tied up with baby and childcare for a few more years (Not all would opt for a babysitter or send baby away to be cared for by a relative in another town).

Not to mention time distribution. With more children, time becomes even more valuable as mama has to divide time (hopefully equally) for her multiple children, each clamoring for her attention and help. I have only two, but when my baby was born and I spent a lot of time breastfeeding her, the older one felt left out as she wanted me to play with her like before when she was the only child. So, imagine having to cope with even more...

Of course, this is a phase and undoubtedly, older mums would probably advise "Oh, it's ok, you can handle it! I had 7 children and grandmother had 14 children, so 4 is nothing compared to what we went through!" (Familiar?)

So, I invite all mamas who have experienced or are experiencing this phase now to share. It doesn't make one a bad mother if one feels blue due to this surprise conception. We just need people to help us, encourage us and support us to get through it. If all else fails, hopefully, a dose of humour would cheer us up! Here's a link to Australian mama blogger, Karen Cheng's humorous take on having 3 children of her own (it was emailed to her by someone) :
Sometimes You Need To Laugh - The Evolution of Parenthood.


Carpe Diem, ladies!
Becky

6 comments:

Ss said...

Thanks becky for the post.

Ya, am preparing for this coming baby although is still early. Have already informed the babysitter that this baby will go there next March straight after my confinement. She say she won't be accepting any new child. And also has 'booked' the baby clothing, stroller, lampin, etc. from my aunt who also accidentally has a new baby when her youngest is already 10 yrs old and eldest 15 yrs old. Her daughter is now 3 yrs old. When I know the news about her, I pass all my stuff to her. And now she's passing back to me with a lot more additional clothing.

I still haven't decide which doctor to go. The previous doctor I see, most people commented that she's not very patient and I felt that too. So, thinking of going to another doctor and still asking around for opinion. Any of you go to Dr. Philip Kho?

Next will be confinement lady. But my mum is also helping me asking around.

Well, thanks to my mum that really helped a lot. I have my meals at her place. I usually wash the dishes but recently, really feeling very sick and sleepy especially evening time. So, she clean up everything. And my parents will also stay here during next year CNY just because I'll be delivering straight after CNY. The go travelling usually during CNY.

My kids, my parents are quite excited for this new baby. But for me, still nervous and scared. I always recall my previous delivery. My previous delivery already considered very smooth. Well, I think I'll just need more time to prepare myself. And also due to morning sickness, am feeling very uncomfortable.

Mad About Writing said...

Firstly, I am happy for you and your family! Congrats, again!

It's good to be able to share baby items as that will save so much money. It's amazing what baby strollers and car seats cost nowadays -- as much as, if not more, than some people's monthly salary!

Oh ya, forgot about confinement lady! Is the going rate about RM 2800 - RM 3000 nowadays?

From what I heard about Dr. Phillip Kho, he's gentle and very skilled. But I think mamas who have gone to him are in a better position to advise. I went to Dr. Wendy Loh, who was also very gentle, patient, skilled and thoughtful towards patients. I would recommend her to anyone who prefers a lady doctor.

Hang in there and cheer up! 8++ more months to go.... :)

Ss said...

The reason I consider Dr. Philip Kho is because he's my neighbour. So, if really anything happen, at least I can consult him easily.

Mad About Writing said...

Direct neighbour? That's an added advantage! Just call out and the doctor will come! yeah, why not?

alicia said...

i can relate to what becky said. my 1st child was 11 mo when i found out that i was pregnant (on father's day!). I was totally in denial! Thank God my hubby is very supportive. Actually, didn't plan for the second one so soon (had not even wanted another one :P ) so it was a real shocker to see the 2 pink lines. 1st time round was mega-delighted to see the UPT being positive! i am still having morning and night sickness but thank God that my parents are helping me with my 1st child as these days i feel so tired. dunno if it's coz of age too or that i've had intermittent sleep for the past 11months since 1st bb was born. can't imagine having to go thru all that again + the breast engorgements and mastitis etc..sigh!! also my bb is pretty attached to me - like a koala bear so even on weekends i don't get to rest as much as i'd like to. but , will have to plan for my 2nd one - to get extra help, or send the 1st one to day care while mum takes care of 2nd one! praying that all will go well!

Mad About Writing said...

Congratulations alicia!

I guess it is quite a challenge in the beginning when the age gap is so close.

On the other hand, you'll go through the challenging phase earlier and faster which is a good thing. Plus, your kids will have more in common since they're within the same age range. :)

When my second came 3 ++ years later, I felt I was really starting all over again after a honeymoon period. Had to relearn/recall certain things I had forgotten. Though it's a good thing my first one is more mature now so she doesn't cling to me like a koala bear (haha), one day she'll be a teenager interested in makeup and boys while the younger one is still into 'childish' things...

Pros/Cons-- whatever it is, happy for you and all the best!!