Sunday, September 12, 2010

THUD!!! My Baby Fell!!!

You heard that sickening sound and your stomach muscles started to contract... too late, the wailing rose to a crescendo.

Your baby just fell off the bed/cot/high chair/couch/steps/table/staircase.....

We told ourselves that we'd be really quick, baby should be quite safe. He isn't rolling that far yet or she can sit still for two seconds (what were we thinking?) or the cot is low enough to prevent him from falling off the sides.

But, the next second after it happened, we felt terribly lousy about ourselves... and I mean the "my-baby-is-going-to-die-it's-all-my-fault-and-I-don't-deserve-to-be-a-mom/dad" kind of lousy.

What happened recently..........

Monday
My baby fell off the high chair. She must have landed on her head as I could feel a huge bump on the left side of her head. However, minutes later, she was her usual self again, playing and laughing away.

Tuesday
Everything was normal. No vomiting. No fainting or signs of unconsciousness. She was perfectly normal. By night time however, I felt a soft, spongy lump on her head where the hard bump used to be. My heart sank. Did the skull crack? Did the brain fluid leak out? In full panic mode, I rushed her to the emergency unit of a nearby hospital. The medical officer in charge asked how long had it been since she fell. I told him more than 24 hours already. 

"Oh," he said. "No fainting? No vomiting? No blood? Nothing? Everything normal? She's active? Yes? You can go home then." 

I was going "But what about this soft lump here? What is this?!" 

He then casually replied it was nothing to worry about. 

"Why??!! This is not normal!" I said.

"Our brain is very vascular so that lump is just clotted blood since some blood vessels burst. But it's not internal since she's ok. Children's bones are very flexible so they don't break so easily unlike adults and they recover very fast too. I can put a needle in to take out the blood (gasp!) , but if you don't want, just give it two or three weeks or so, the lump will disappear.... and I think, now you can also disappear!" He said with a smile.

I was relieved. My baby won't have brain damage. 

Wednesday
Baby was fine and her usual self. Mummy was feeling better but by evening, started to think that a second opinion was probably a good idea ----- just in case.

Thursday
I brought her to see the pediatrician of the said nearby hospital again. While he concurred what the medical officer said earlier, he advised X-ray to ensure there are no fractures in the skull.... which I obediently complied. The results reassured me further that there really was nothing to worry about.

What the doctor said:
If there's a fall, the next 5 - 6 hours are crucial. We have to ensure the baby/toddler/child doesn't fall asleep. Observe signs of vomiting (indication of internal injury), unconsciousness... any abnormality. After 24 hours, if all is well, there shouldn't be anything to worry about. 

What is that soft, spongy lump?
As the medical officer elaborated, just burst blood vessels which is superficial, the medical term being hematoma.

A few mothers I talked to had similar experiences e.g. baby falling off cot, daddy's clutches, bed.... so it's a common enough phenomenon for most parents to identify with. In fact, one more extreme case I got to know of was a 5 year old child falling from the second floor of a double storey house... through the window! Miraculously (and I mean, really! DIVINE!), the child was unharmed except for a few scratches..

So, I'm sharing this to hopefully, console parents who have experienced something similar. We do our best, but accidents do happen. 

For parents who have yet to experience this ( and I hope you never have to), take all the necessary preventive and precautionary measures. One can't be too careful when it comes to children. We like to think we're supermums/dads but the fact is, our reflexes aren't as lightning quick as theirs.

But if something should happen, always consult your doctor...because we can trust that doctors know best, right? Right? (more to come in Doc. Dilemma-after Man Talk)


Carpe Diem, ladies!
Becky

5 comments:

Sharon said...

oh dear, how scary. Hope she's ok.

Mad About Writing said...

she is, thanks..

which is why i'm wondering why the paed recommended the x-ray on the fourth day...

now, i'm worried about the radiation's side effects....sigh.

That'll be my next post after Man Talk.

Cherry Blossom said...

well, i think it's natural dat we worry more than our partner abt the well-being of our children... however, doug is more observant than me when it comes to our son... i dun mind spending all the money, if it meant a better care for my child. no matter wat we read or heard, we will never be ready to face this kind of situation. so dun't be harsh on yourself when this happens. it will be more easier if our baby came with a manual... as it is, they don't have any manual, so my best option is to turn to God. there are limits to what we know about child caring but God knows our children best... after looking back through this one year with Ethan, i can see how God help me to care for him through people who share their experiences (like you) and observant and caring father, grandma n helper.

Mad About Writing said...

Thank you, Cherry Blossom for the comforting words.. :)

It's true that sometimes even with all the reading about baby/child care, things unexpected can still take us by surprise -- and we feel "Aargh.. I should know better than that!..."

But thanks and I hope that this sharing helps you too!

Anonymous said...

Hi there, I enjoyed this hark work in this page, you are writing down with great writing! This blog is much interesting!
I´m Suzie, I Live on Aveiro, so I will be a follower of this web page, my personal details may be boring but I will tell them anyway I am very found of swimming as well as tv shows, and I also listen a lot Radiohead on my parties, I´m single now so boys watch out for me....Just flirting with you guys lol :)! I once tried online dating it didn´t work out very well....
I wrote this comment because as I already mentioned I really enjoy your web site I also have a forum just like you, but mine is many different from this, it is about no deposit poker bonus....:)
I will also have to apologize by my writting it is the only way I get to talk with you....Xo Xo to everybody, Bye bye, by the way Happy New Year