Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Wine and Confinement -- To take or not to take?

Contribution by laifchan:

Was doing some reading about this issue and found 2 recent helpful articles written by Chinese researchers.


Here's a summary of my own thoughts and conclusions.



Out of the many traditions during confinement, taking red rice wine chicken soup is one that is held to dearly for a few reasons:
1. Its delicious :)
2. Claims of improving the mother's health ie prevents arthritis, balances the hot-cold thingy, improves strenght etc (not going to dispute it but lets just say so far no scientific evidence)





However, there have been countless research showing detrimental effects of alcohol on babies development (of course,  a limitation is that most studies don't track children's development into adulthood).



The question is,  does taking red rice wine chicken soup cause significant amounts of alcohol into breastmilk and cause negative effects in babies?



Well, anecdotally (meaning hearsay), Chinese women have been practicing these tradition for eons and have produced "bright" children who have grown up to be 'successful' adults. However, stories without examining the multiple factors that may influence how children turn out to be 'smart' may be misleading.



Also, there is a belief that the alcohol content in red rice wine chicken soup is negligible. This myth is challenged in 1 of the attached articles which showed that after less than 3 hrs after taking normal amounts of this soup, there IS still alcohol in the milk that can cause significant changes to the composition of breastmilk (less nutrients) and can decrease milk production.



Also, although Chinese women do breastfeed during confinement while taking red rice wine chicken soup, not many breastfeed exclusively but end up supplementing with formula milk even within the 1st mth, so the babies maybe less exposed to the negative consequences of alcohol.



Given the many proven benefits of exculsively breastfeeding for at least 6 mths ie better immunity in babies, what options do mothers have if they still want to take red rice wine soup while exclusively breastfeeding?



Well, I guess it should be done in moderation and breastfeeding timed to be at least 3 hrs after consumption of this soup.



For myself, a practical thing to do is:
1.limit any form of alcohol to just this soup (personal reasons coz i find it delicious, not for any health benefits, and don't like taking any other form of alcohol ie DOM etc)

2. Take it during dinner after i've expressed milk for my baby's night-feeds 

-this way, it would be at least a good 8 hrs before i nurse my baby after the soup and this will probably mitigate any effects of the alcohol
-couldn't do it for Jason as he seemed to be perpetually stuck to my breasts and left me no time to express, so I didn't take any soup, anyway he had jaundice so all the more reason not to take any alcohol (didn't want to overwork his tiny liver)
- another advantage of giving the baby expressed milk at night is somebody else (husbands/confnement lady) can help feed the baby while the mother is able to rest


Any other ideas or comments, people?



Thank you, laifchan!!!

13 comments:

Ss said...

So, do you mean we just eat as usual during confinement? Coz' seems like the tradition confinement is always related to alcohol. Any advise on the food to take during confinement then?

Ss said...

Because I think most new born baby will need to be breastfeed every 2 or 3 hours. So, to breastfeed or express only after 3 hours, sounds quite impossible.

laifchan said...

yeah, breastfeeding on demand and timing it with any alcohol consumption can be tricky.

I guess one has to make a choice whether to take alcohol at all while exclusively breastfeeding.

For my first baby, I decided that I could live without the 'benefits' of alcohol in confinement food because I really wanted to breastfeed exclusively and my son was also had jaundice.

I am not aware of any advice against alcohol if the baby is jaundiced but didn't want to complicate matters or take any chances as logically, the baby's liver already has to work pretty hard to get rid of the bilirubin for the jaundice to clear and alcohol is also metabolized by the liver.

Like I mentioned, a practical way if you still wanna enjoy some alcohol-based food during confinement is to take it during dinner after you've expressed the milk for night-feeds so you have about 8 hrs till your baby takes the next feed which will probably not have anymore significant amounts of alcohol.

I still enjoyed yummy food during confinement without any alcohol.I think the most important thing is to eat a balanced diet and make sure there's enough fibre.

Also, the traditional dish with pork trotters, ginger and vinegar may actually be good for milk production and the acidic content from the vinegar may improve calcium absorption (ionise the calcium so that its better absorpbed.Papaya soup with pork ribs and fish seem to also help with milk production.

I did take the rice wine chicken soup after confinement though when I could time breastfeeding better.

Well, I guess I have to wait and see whether I'll suffer from arthritis, lack of energy etc when I'm old due to lack of alcohol during confinement!

Mad About Writing said...

When I had my first child, I obediently took alcohol as advised by my mother. In the first month, my milk flow was so slow that my mother also pushed me to quickly buy formula for my baby. After first month however, (when I stopped taking alcohol)my breast milk flowed smoothly.

So, for my second child, I resolved not to take any wine. Just ate as usual. And I had sooooooo much breast milk for the second one!!! So much that I had to give extras to my first child to take (she's four by then)

Therefore, from my own personal experience, I would say lay off the wine and just eat as usual.


It is my belief that this Chinese confinement practices has been passed down for generations since our ancestors in China e.g. not bathing, take alcohol..etc. I think it made sense when the country is cold. but when in a tropical country, it just doesn't make sense.
For Malays, I understand that they take a lot of ginger and black pepper to 'keep warm'.. maybe that's a better option that taking alcohol??? (esp since alcohol can pass on to baby and it's not good)

Mad About Writing said...

If I may add.. you know, our grandmothers would say eat one chicken a day during confinement? Honestly, is that necessary? again, maybe during our ancestors' time, they were poor or were farmers and meat was scarce so they needed to stock up on protein when an infant was born. But today, wouldn't that be over indulgent esp since we eat chicken every other day?

What do u guys think?

laifchan said...

i totally agree with u becky.

was just discussing this issue w my mum and she also is of the opinion that women in olden, cold, china were less priviledged, had to toil daily and confinement period was a valid reason to be pampered maximum.

not so relevant now when we are not malnourished or doing manual labor!

Mad About Writing said...

Yeah, and the worst thing is when you ask the older women why do all this, they can't really explain why except tell you that if you don't, you'll suffer when you grow old..

So should we keep practicing traditions that are not practical based on that uncertainty of future "suffering"?? [Btw, I know of older women who followed confinement practices religiously, and still have arthritis or joint problems at current old age. Sooo...?]

Perhaps we should consider the health consequences of eating too much and drinking too much instead?

Mad About Writing said...

Ss: As for what food to take (some grandmothers/mothers might tear their hair out at this), really, I ate as usual...of course, I had chicken soup. I also had pan fried beef steak with roasted potatoes, vegetables e.g. french beans, leafy vege, broccoli, noodles...etc. I even had fruits (supposedly forbidden 'cold' food). It's very important to have balanced meal with all nutrients otherwise.. constipation will be a BIG problem!

Anonymous said...

Il semble que vous soyez un expert dans ce domaine, vos remarques sont tres interessantes, merci.

- Daniel

Mad About Writing said...

Hi Daniel, I'm afraid I don't understand the language you typed in your comment (French?)..

If anyone can understand, kindly translate! Thank you!

Alankar said...

http://translate.google.com.my/?hl=en&q=Il+semble+que+vous+soyez+un+expert+dans+ce+domaine,+vos+remarques+sont+tres+interessantes,+merci.&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wT


use google translate

Il semble que vous soyez un expert dans ce domaine, vos remarques sont tres interessantes, merci.

It seems that you are an expert in this field, your comments are very interesting, thank you.

michele said...

Becky,
I agree with you. But it is hard to convinced parents on this issue sometimes. I've asked my mum the same question why? and she gave the same answer 'don't know just do it' or else you suffer lots of illness when old. Wondering what about the issue of not taking bath for a month during confinement? Would like to know how you deal with that? thanks.
michele

Mad About Writing said...

Hi Michele,

sorry for my waaaay overdue reply!

How would I deal with that? Hmm..

Well, when my first child was born, my mum was still rather strict so I bathed secretly. When my second child was born, nobody really cared anymore cos they knew I wouldn't listen anyway! :)

Ok, that may not go down well with everyone. I think it is more logical and practical to say that it's unhygienic to breastfeed baby when mummy is sweaty and sticky.

But if anyone still insists on not bathing for 30 or 40 days, all I can say is---- to each his own!

All the best with that!