Thursday, April 8, 2010

Balancing Breastfeeding/Expressing with Work

Just a thought on breastfeeding. Isn't it nice if it is as blissful as painted in the picture below: A new mother (somehow still looking so beautiful and glowing), smiling and cradling her newborn. The newborn doesn't fight her nipple. She has latched on perfectly, sucking peacefully..No pain, no discomfort., no problems..Sigh, well, what a load of ...................gross, erroneous misrepresentation of reality! Anyone who has ever breastfed will tell you it's not like that at all for the first 1 and a half weeks. Agree?? In fact, I never knew tears of pain until I breastfed...... The reality is:

1) Breastfeeding is painful for 1-2weeks. You may not have sore or cracked nipples, infection, thrush, mastitis..etc.. It just hurts.
2) The newborn may experience nipple confusion due to their stay in private hospitals where nurses feed them with bottles. So when blissful mama tries to breastfeed, the baby screeeeeeeams or fights your nipple.
3) May be stressful as prior to your milk coming in, your own mother or mother in law would be asking "Got milk? Got milk? No milk! Quickly! Go buy milk powder!" when all you want is to give your baby the best nature and God has given you.

But hang in there... persevere and persist! After that, breastfeeding will be a breeze!

Anyway, unless you're a full-time, stay-at-home mum, it's hard to just breastfeed directly.. so most of us have to balance work with expressing and storing our milk for our young ones. I think this is one of the most challenging part of mothering--ensuring your baby gets breastmilk while fulfilling work obligations.

So, how to go about it? Be forewarned -- unlike the picture above, I'm telling you the
FACTS: it's NOT easy, it's actually VERY troublesome, it takes GREAT effort, we need a LOT of support and understanding from people around us ...BUT! The rewards are great, and your young one deserves the best after all...that alone is a good enough reason.

How I did it:
When I was still teaching (after giving birth to my first girl), I expressed my milk every 2 hours, starting from 6am. First expression in the morning, I could fill up 8 ounces. After that, each time, I could express 4 ounces. So, at work from 8am - 6pm, I could express roughly 24 ounces. I was lucky because I could store my milk in the school's fridge and thank goodness, my colleagues then helped me out with classes. They had to replace me everytime I disappeared to pump milk. Then, at home, I continued breastfeeding.


For my 2nd girl, I had even more milk!! However, it's more challenging to express diligently as there's an older child to care for, chores, work, hubby... By her first month, I was expressing 13 ounces early in the morning, then an average of 6 ounces every 2 hours. Eventually, I had to cut the frequency down to every 4 hours, averaging 9-10 ounces each time. And this is besides breastfeeding directly as well. Now that she's 8 months old and eating semi solids, I express once or twice a day. Of course by now, since I cut down so much , my supply has decreased a lot. Check out the difference:

Then, (daughter 4 months old) after 1 day of expressing:Now, (daughter 8 months old) after 1 day:One. Small. Lonely. Bottle.


Here's my trusty breast pump: AVENT manual hand pump
Now, calling all breastfeeding, expressing-while-working and exclusively pumping mums, please share with us how you handled this balancing act. How do you balance doing all that while working in the office or at home (Housework is still WORK!), or when taking care of your other kids+hubby.. Please share to inspire and encourage new mums or mums-to-be ya?

Carpe Diem, ladies!
Becky










The contents of this blog are for informational purposes only. The content is not designed to be a substitute for professional medical consultation.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Hhmm...i do believe i was like that at one stage coz i remember i like that feeling when i breastfed Ethan...Sigh...

Mad About Writing said...

Yeah! Cherry! I'm glad to see you here! Welcome to Carpe Diem Mamas!

Did you mean you were breastfeeding blissfully at one stage?

Well, the blissful stage started after only 2 weeks for me.

When I was a first time mama, I envisaged myself looking like that woman above when my baby was born, so was mentally unprepared for the pain.

Mad About Writing said...

WELCOME YIK HONG!!! GLAD TO HAVE YOU WITH US!

Mrs M said...

Hi all, I'm Re Gal and I was an EP mom. I pumped exclusively for 13.5 months for my son. He had solely breast milk for the first 10 months or so. He is now 15 months old.

Wow, Rebecca, I envy your output! The most that I could express was 36 oz, 8x/day. At the very last stage, my output was 3.5oz, 1x/day.

To share a little of my EP experience.. I was a wreck in the first few months I pumped. Did not have a helper, was alone with baby until hubby came back from work, had to pump 8/9x and take care of baby by myself, sleep deprived and anxious as a first-time mother.. but things got better as my supply stabilised and I started dropping pump. Then when my son was almost 1 year old, we got ourselves a helper. I am very happy now!

My son is rarely sick and he's a very happy boy. I'm thankful of my EP journey. It was HARD but so worth it!

Mad About Writing said...

Thanks for your input, Re Gal! I'm sure it'll encourage other mothers to not give up and persevere!

elisenaf said...

my milk flow very poor only few drops came out even i tried really hard to pump it out but still unable to pump in one ounce.

Mad About Writing said...

Hi elisenaf!! Welcome to Carpe Diem Mamas! thank you for joining our group!!

Actually, with regard to your remark I've been meaning to ask (anybody) why do some women have no milk?? isn't it natural that our bodies produce it after birth?

So why do some women have more, some less and some none? Anybody knows???

Unknown said...

Someone once told me that it's all in the mind..if your mentality is that you have small breasts and therefore no milk, then your brain psychs you out to think that. Bigger breasted women have lots of milk. Now isn't that weird.

I don't necessarily think it's true My eldest and 4th sis have teeny breasts and loads of milk and my 2nd sis has big breasts and has loads of milk.

I love the olden olden days when women just have babies and pop goes the baby's mouth to the breast and the milk flowed...there was never the thinking whether there was or wasn't milk (that's my mom's generation when teeny breasted and big breasted women had tons of milk) and the thinking was breastfeeding was the automatic reflex of a women.

My mom's youngest came when my mom was 36 and she used to work full time. She used to pump the milk into bottles with her bare hands at work, refrigerate it, bring it home, refrigerate it at home and feed from the breast right after work.

Unknown said...

I have a great admiration for women who breastfeed. A mother's milk is the best thing for a child.

I loved breastfeeding my three kids. It was a great bonding time with them but I had to be careful with what I ate cuz everything siffoned to them.

I had one case of cracked nipples with my 2nd child and after that breastfeeding was great.

My 1st breastfed until 10 months old and then I ran out of milk cuz I found out I was pregnant again.

My 2nd breastfed until 1 years old and then wouldn't go off. Poor hubby had to stay up late for 6 weeks to help me wean him off (baby can smell the mom from 20 feet away so I had to be more than 20 feet away).

3rd baby fed until 9 months cuz at my age then, I was all tapped out of breastmilk.

Anonymous said...

Nice dispatch and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you seeking your information.

Mad About Writing said...

You're welcome. Do attribute it to Carpe Diem mamas though and visit us more often. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Sorry for my bad english. Thank you so much for your good post. Your post helped me in my college assignment, If you can provide me more details please email me.