Monday, April 12, 2010

Balancing Breastfeeding/Expressing with Work (Pt. 2)

Today's entry was actually intended as a comment for Friday's entry, but since it's so comprehensive and it's by a medical professional mother who's been-there-done-it, I decided to make it the 2nd part of this extensive topic:

laifchan:

"Yup, breastfeeding definitely trumps formula hands-down.
Having said that, mums who choose not to breastfeed exclusively or partially for whatever reason don’t have to be weighed down by guilt.

I think that balancing the benefits of breastfeeding with the general well-being of the mother is an important aspect. After all, your precious one’s healthy development and attachment is a life-long process that is not confined to just breastfeeding.
I wish that people around me had been more candid about the challenges of breastfeeding and instead of saying ‘aiya, if I told u all these than u wouldn’t breastfeed-mah!’
So here’s what I learned from my past 6 mths of exclusive breastfeeding:
  1. Be prepared, especially if you have only 2 months of maternity leave (we’ll talk about advocating breast-feeding friendliness at work later)
    • videos on step-by step ways to latch-on your baby and the various positions (you can still breastfeed in the football position after a C-section) are available on youtube, just make sure they are done by proper lactation experts: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qjs_uQ8PCHw
    • talk to friends and relatives who have experienced breastfeeding – my family was a great source of support and encouragement. Also, you’d realize that your decision to breastfeed will involve lifestyle changes to your family, esp hubby J
    • professional help is available in the form of lactation experts (nurse, paediatrician, obstetrician) – check with your obstetrician on who is available for consultation at your clinic/hospital.
    • start to stock-up on expressed milk before going back to work to ensure continuous supply. I was semi-freaking out when I couldn’t pump fast enough to stock-up as my little one was on the breast almost hourly for the first 2 months-more on how it worked-out later.
  1. Be flexible
    • planning ahead is great but don’t beat yourself up too much if your carefully constructed plans don’t happen because being too stressed-out drastically reduces milk supply and takes the joy out of breastfeeding!
  1. Prevention is better than cure
    • to reduce the risk of cracked nipples and mastitis, protect your nipples by ensuring that your baby latches on and off properly (available in afore-mentioned books and videos) and reduce friction on nipples. I found Bepanthen cream very useful when applied after each feed, its activated vit B so no need to wipe-off, pretty safe if ingested by baby-its also great for preventing nappy rash. A bit of expressed milk smeared on the nipples and then air-dried also helps.
    • mastitis is not the end of the world- Early medical treatment is effective to prevent complications and you will still be able to continue breastfeeding.
  1. Don’t give-up-life does get better
    • every baby and mummy is unique, so its difficult to have a formula on how often to feed the baby and for how long. The basic principle is feed on demand and a sign that he/she is fed enough is when they pass adequate amounts of stools and urine in between feeds.  Crying is a late sign of hunger, the baby usually will start smacking the lips or rooting for the nipple first.
    • a common frustration is when there doesn’t seem to be enough milk-that’s why its important to keep feeding on demand as the more the baby sucks, the more your milk production is stimulated. Try to start as soon as possible after delivery. The nurse’s response after I asked for my baby to start breastfeeding straight-away: ‘Aiya, wait-lah, have 2 clean-you up first and all the mess here!’ This despite a big fat poster in the labour room that screamed: Thousands of babies lives saved by breastfeeding within the 1st hour!
    • colostrum in the first few days is sufficient for a healthy baby with a normal weight even though the amount is small-you may hardly feel the colostrum coming out.
    • The actual milk comes on day 3-5 onwards and is rather painful due to engorgement-somehow cabbage worked best for me but just don’t overdo it coz it reduces the milk-flow somewhat.
    • yes, its exhausting to breastfeed round the clock so support is crucial ie hubby helping with night-time feeding and diaper-changing. Some mums find it less exhausting to start expressing early so that someone else can take turns feeding expressed milk in a bottle-tricky to say how early as they may get used to the bottle and refuse the breast! For me, it was practical to start getting my son used to the bottle when I was about to start work. Also, grab the chance to catch 40 winks when the baby is asleep.
    • frequent nite-feeds are tiring coz breast-milk is easily digested hence the tummy gets empty fast! take heart, as time goes by, they suck more efficiently and the hours between feeds gets longer and longer and when they start semi-solids, they will gradually learn to sleep through the night. Some mummies find it helpful to use the lying-down position to get some rest, just be careful to position the baby properly so he/she doesn’t get crushed/suffocated.
    • some women like yours truly are more prone to blocked ducts (very painful-a quadrant of your breast becomes rock-solid and the baby can’t suck the milk out from that part) so try to ensure that the baby manages to suck from the whole breast evenly to prevent accumulation in 1 area of the breast-changing feeding positions and gentle massage helps (don’t overdo it as a break in your skin may set the route for infection and mastitis)
  1. Some is better than none
    • Don’t be too hard on yourself. If despite trying your best and you’re at your wits end trying to keep sane, supplementing with formula does not make you a bad mother. Your physical and emotional well-being is important to ensure that you can continue caring for your baby effectively. With perseverance, some mums still manage to exclusively breastfeed a bit later when they are in a better state of mind emotionally and physically.
Hopefully this is helpful-more on breastfeeding while working full-time later……."
     
The contents of this blog are for informational purposes only. The content is not designed to be a substitute for professional medical consultation.
     

7 comments:

Mad About Writing said...

I want to welcome Delighted to our group. We r 'delighted' to have you with us!!

Unknown said...

I'm super "Delighted" to join.

Ss said...

I breastfeed to both my child. 1st is very sufficient. Enough breastmilk for whole day. But for second child, is much lesser. I do the same as first, straight after delivery, I breastfeed the baby. But how come, 2nd is so much less. 1st child can pump 8oz (full bottle) whereas 2nd child can only pump 2-4 oz. Any explanation on this? I can't figure out why. Coz' some people can breastfeed (working mother) from 1st child till 5th child.

Mad About Writing said...

Gee Ss, for my 2nd child, I have even MORE milk than with my 1st child...

I guess we need professional medical expert to advise. I have a doctor friend who tried everything, whether Western or Eastern way, eat right, let baby suck on demand, express.. but she just can't get enough milk out..when I asked her why, she can't explain either...

laifchan said...

well, maybe we need 2 consider the emotional component here. Stress and anxiety are other factors which are known to decrease milk production. Just postulating, with the 2nd child, it may be more difficult to divide your attention between both children and hence the difficulty arises. Some helpful relaxation techniques include deep breathing. An extra pair of hands to help would be great if possible if its too difficult in terms of time management.

Ss said...

Maybe nutritious food is my problem. When I'm pregnant with my first child, I have my meals at my parents house everyday. When I'm pregnant with 2nd child, my parents moved to Kasuma Condo, a little far, so sometimes I didn't go there and just eat out.

So, I'm wondering, if we be more concious on the food we take during pregnancy, will it help to produce more breastmilk later after delivery. Coz' my 2nd child, I do not have much since he was born, during confinement whereas my 1st child i'm very busy with pumping & expressing the breastmilk from day to night during confinement. So, tiring ... After confinement, I still need to wake up in the middle of the night to pump or else will be very tight and painful too.

Anyone pregnant ... take lots of nutritous food and nutritous soup. After delivery, let us know whether it helps or not, ok. I don't think I'll have a 3rd child, so ... no chance to try.

laifchan said...

yeah, good nutrition is important.

if i eat less during a meal, the milk is visibly more dilute...

so, u've got a very valid reason to eat well while breastfeeding-the best part is weight is still maintained coz of increased metabolism :)