Sunday, April 18, 2010

Balancing Breastfeeding/Expressing with Work Pt. 3


laifchan:
So, you’re approaching the end of your maternity leave and wondering whether you can cope with breastfeeding while working from 9-5 at your office.
Yup, it’s possible, even if you have to travel outstation for a stretch-just ensure your freezer is well-stocked with milk.
Managed to survive a 3-day trip in Penang (with baby) and Sepang (without baby).

Things you’ll need:
Breast-pump.
There are many good brands in the market. I am using the electric Medela Pump-In-Style handed down from my cousin. I like it because its very efficient- just plug it into a power source and both sides are done simultaneously in 10-15mins. With practice, you can pump with one hand free to read magazines, surf the net etc…

Storage and sterilizing paraphernalia
Initially, I used glass milk bottles (Pigeon) solely and stored enough for 1 feed in each bottle for convenient warming-up and feeding.
I started to use pre-sterilized disposable zip-lock storage bags (Autumnz) when I ran out of bottles (supply exceeded demand).
At first, I lugged the big Coleman ice-box everywhere coz the small storage bag that came with the pump could only fit 4-ounce bottles upright and I was filling-up 6-7 ounces on the left side. Later, I got a bigger traveling storage bag that could fit six 8-ounce bottles.
Freezer (The mini-bars in hotels are usually not cold enough to store >24 hours. I had to ‘tumpang’ the resort/hotels kitchen freezer)
Ice-packs. (One may be enough just to keep the milk cold but may not be adequate if you have more than 1-2 small bottles that needs to stay frozen)
I sterilize at work by pouring hot boiling water, not keen to lug my steam-sterilizer to and fro work. Some good hotels provide steam-sterilizers on request. (Of course, you can use sterilizing tablets but personally, I’m not too keen on using chemicals).

Privacy
Privacy is tricky if you don’t have your own room to express at work. It’s pretty sad when the only place available is the toilet! Directly breastfeeding in public places and on the go is made easier with a baby sling/breastfeeding ponchos or strategically placed cloth-nappies. Any ideas on how to get advocacy work going to make work and public places more breastfeeding friendly?
(becky: For mothers based in Kuching, there are breastfeeding ponchos/nursing shawls available in Poppies, the Spring. You can also check out eBay Malaysia) 
(...by the way, I don't get paid for the above 'advertisement'...)


Good nutrition
This is to ensure good quality and quantity of milk. I’m not good at taking dairy products so I do take Calcium supplements. Somehow, grandma’s recipe of papaya (unripe)and pork ribs/fish soup does seem to help with ensuring the milk doesn’t dry-up. Also, pork-trotters in vinegar supposedly improves calcium absorption.

A relaxed mood
Not easy when you’re rushing to meet deadlines!

Tons of support
Can’t over-emphasise this, so do share your successes and challenges.  :)
Anyone with experience using electric warmers, especially the ones that can be used in the car (battery-operated, I suppose?). I’ve been surviving with a thermo-pot at home for hot water. When I’m traveling, it’s either the flask or a pit-stop for hot water.


The contents of this blog are for informational purposes only. The content is not designed to be a substitute for professional medical consultation.

3 comments:

Mad About Writing said...

Hi MICHELLE!!! WELCOME!! Thanks for joining! Please feel free to comment and ask ques if you have. We'll do our best to help u out...

Glory said...

laifchan, I've used a car bottle warmer before-one where there is a strap over the milk bottle and it's plugged into the car cigarette lighter. Hmm.. I dont really like it, it doesnt really warm up the bottle if you are traveling short distance. It took quite some time to warm up the bottle, so I've only used it once or twice. If you would like to try it out, I can try finding it and pass it over to you. Avent food warmer is good, for home use. :)

laifchan said...

Thanks Glory. Yeah, mebe i'll check out the car warmer. Avent's smart, their stuff usually can onli fit other Avent stuff. The avent food-warmer onli for bottles or other food-containers?